My Reflection on Winning Chevening Interview 2020/2021 #2

    Acing the Chevening Interview: My Reflection on Winning Chevening Interview 2020/2021 #2

(picture source: www.chevening.org)

Hi guys! I’m Claudia Rosari Dewi, Chevening Scholar 20/21. Currently, I’m studying at the University of Bristol, UK, majoring MSc Psychology of Education. During my tight schedule for studying, I still want to share my glorious experience in preparing my Chevening interview last year. It was such a dream! Being one of the shortlisted candidate was such a privilege for me because I never thought that I’ve done this far. Well, every Scholar has their own story and here is my experience and reflection on winning Chevening interview last year.

REMEMBER!!! 
To be invited for an interview means that your essay is really outstanding and they want to know you better, hence the interview. You just need to nail the “last” step to be awarded!Because it’s all about you and your essay, which explains more about your personality. This is not a technical interview. They just want to validate whether it is you who indeed wrote the essay. 

Based on my experience, here are some important points on Chevening Interview:

1. You as individual
The panelist already know your story, and yes, it’s a cool story. And then what’s next? They want to know who you are and your personality. 

2. You and your essay
You will have a sense that the panelists somehow interested in your stories as they will ask some follow-up questions, but everything always based on your essay. Here, again, there’s no right or wrong answer. Just be yourself and be confident with what you have done so far!

3. You and 'beyond' your essay
I believe that you've already know some questions which you can find out on the internet or from others Chevening Scholar. I just want to remind you that there are certain questions that they will ask beyond your essay (not written in your essay but most likely they want to know yourself in relation with those 4 important things in Chevening (leadership, networking, study plan, career plan).

Here are some tips for interview (based on my experience and reflection during my preparation last year) : 

1. Practice is the most important key! 
Please ensure yourself have enough time to practice answering some questions that might will be asked during the Chevening interview. I have done over 10 times mock-interview with my shortlisted friends and countless mock-interview with myself. The key is I would stop to practice until I am satisfied enough with my answer and my performance.

2. Re-read your essay repeatedly
This is also an important thing to do. Every question from the panelists always comes from the essay that you have written. So, again and again, make sure you are the master of your essay. Understand your essay clearly

3. Be yourself and be honest 
This is such a common advice but I might say that this is the powerful one. Be yourself is true. Imagine that you are going to sell your talent and ability to the world-wide investor, and this is the only chance for you to show off your biggest potential. Remember that you cannot amaze the panelists by becoming someone else achievements or trying to be someone else. Just be true to yourself, believe in your vision and goals, believe in yourself during the interview. They have invited you for the prestigious scholarship interview, so that is why you deserve to present the best and the real of you.

4. Ask them questions 
If you are not sure about what they are saying and you want to make sure that you understand correctly, you can ask them politely. Use this opportunity so that you will not lose your chance to answer correctly. Remember, the panelists will also give you a chance to ask questions at the end of the interview. Use it! Ask them other questions that are not written in their website or any other things that you want to know that it isn't shared in public. 

5. Be aware and keep praying 
Above all your preparation, remember that you have done such a great thing because they have invited you to this prestigious scholarship interview. Not everyone can have this chance! After preparing all the things, make sure that you miss nothing for the interview! Keep yourself aware of everything (even if it is online or offline interview), because self-awareness is the key to focus, to keep up your self-confidence and keep yourself under your control. Remember to keep praying because you will never know what will you face on the interview. 

Congratulations of being shortlisted candidate and good luck for your Chevening interview! 💪😇
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some pictures just before my interview:
Preparing the interview
1). The day when I'm ready for the most valuable interview experience in my life.

2). A couple days before my Chevening interview schedule, I put my printed essay and guidelines for interview just in front of my study desk (stick it on the wall and on the mirror) to help me practice every single day. I was not given up to practice until I felt satisfied with my preparation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading my blog. This might be not the best advice for winning Chevening interview, but I hope you can gain some insights to help you achieve your dream on winning Chevening interview 😊

You can follow me on social media:
Instagram: Claudia Rosari Dewi
Facebook: Claudia Rosari Dewi
LinkedIn : Claudia Rosari Dewi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Chevening Journey #1